3440A – RMS RF Millivoltmeter – Ballantine Laboratories
Test and Measurement
The 3440A measures the true rms of low level RF and microwave signals to over 1GHz. High rms accuracy, traceable to NIST, is assured regardless of waveshape. Common calibration errors are eliminated through temperature compensation of the probe detector diodes; double shielding protects the interchangeable probes from rough handling and pickup. Relative gain or loss measurements are simplified by a 0 dB reference adjustment. DC output proportional to the ac input is provided for analog recorders and to allow operation as an ac-dc converter.
- NIST traceable True RMS: 100 µV to 30 mV; 10 kHz to 1.2 GHz (usable to 2.4 GHz)
- Volts and dB Operation: Measures 100 µV to 300 V and -60 dB to +60 dB
- Accuracy ± (1% FS + 1% reading) to 150 MHz, NIST traceable
- RF detector probes field replaceable
Frequency Range Calibrated to 10 kHz to 1.2 GHz. Usable <10 kHz to >2.4 GHz
Response True RMS to 30 mV, changing gradually to peak detector calibrated in rms of a sine wave above 30 mV.
- 1 mV full scale to 3 V full scale in eight ranges: 1/3/10 scale sequence.
- Usable: <100 µV to 3 V rms.
- Optional Model 1340A divider extends range to 300 V.
Indicator Unrest (1 mV FS range) Unrest of the meter pointer will be <±1% FS above 500 µV indication, <±2% FS between 300 µV and 600 µV and <±5% from 100 µV to 300 µV.
Normal Response Time Less than 1 sec on the 3 mV to 3 V ranges; 3 sec on the 1 mV range. Meter recovers to within 10% of final indication within 1 min after removal of 3 V rms overload on 1 mV range.
Meter Response Time Switch A front panel switch selects normal and slow response times when measuring input signals that are stable, amplitude variable, or noisy.
VSWR The VSWR using the probe with the non-loading Tee connector in a 50 W system is no greater than 1.3 from 10 kHz to 1.2 GHz.
Power Sensitivity The probe requires less than 1.9 nW of input power at 300 µV input voltage when used with the non-loading Tee connector in a 50 W system.
Overvoltage The probe input is fully protected to 10 V ac on all ranges and frequencies. Maximum DC input is ±400 V on all ranges.
DC Recorder Output A rear panel set of binding posts provides >+1 V dc full scale deflection on “10” ranges and 0.948 V on “3” ranges into an open circuit. Source impedance is 1000 W (±5%). The dc output is short-circuit proof. Output voltage is directly proportional to meter deflection and the rms value of the probe input voltage, which allows for use as an ac to dc converter.
- A fused power selector safety switch and receptacle on the rear panel selects one of four ac operating voltage ranges. Input power: 20 VA maximum.
- 90 to 108 V (100 V); 48 to 420 Hz, 103 to 130 V (115 V); 48 to 420 Hz
- 198 to 238 V (220 V); 48 to 420 Hz, 216 to 260 V (240 V); 48 to 420 Hz